Monday, April 25, 2011

Embracing the Imperfections

Newest Clay Character!

My independent study this semester has been trial and error with using new clay and different techniques.  The first type of clay I used while making the human figure was really tough to work with around the wire armature.  I found it really hard to keep it standing up right.  My second attempt at this technique was creating a slightly smaller scale model of one of my character which work quite nicely.

With my most recent piece I completely changed my structure of sculpting.  First I built a solid wire structure so that my figure wouldn't collapse or shift.  After I felt the structure was firm I covered it with tin foil.  The tin foil acts like a volume builder so that I don't have to create it with an abundance of extra clay.  It also can act as a smoother surface for the clay to lay upon.


After the structure was refined I began to place slabs of the clay onto the grounding enviornment of the piece.  I choose a rocky texture as his earth.  Creating this texture was really fun.  I found that to make it look realistic I had to embrace the imperfections of the scratches or rips in the clay surface.  After I had the clay laid down the way I wanted it, I softened a darker brown clay to a liquid and brushed it into the surface thus creating a rockier texture.
After his grounding was completed I began to construct Zane's form.  I knew from the beginning that I wanted to give his skin a scaly texture.  It was a trial an error with about three to four different materials.  I decided on a fish net texture that wouldn't be added until the end.  Here is an image showing the basic layover of the clay with out the texture.
Finally, when I tough I had the proportions correct I began adding more detail.  This included adding the hands, feet, nails, hair, moles, and scale texture.  The eye was also big for trial and error.  I attempted the a total of three times until I choose a final.  The iris is created with tin foil and nail polish with a clay glaze over the top.  Here is a few final images of the piece before I need to fire it in the oven.

 Wish me luck with the firing!  New photos to come of the final on my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment